In 1883, a group of women, concerned about conditions for children in Cincinnati’s hospitals, proposed establishing a hospital for children. The hospital was incorporated in November 1883 and opened a few months later in a rented three-bedroom house. The hospital admitted 38 children in its first year, and Episcopal bishop Thomas Jaggar, president of the board of trustees, reported that it offered its young patients “the best medical and surgical treatment” as well as “the tenderest care”–a description as true today as it was 125 years ago. From its modest beginnings, Cincinnati Children’s Hospital Medical Center has become one of the nation’s most distinguished centers for pediatric care, research, and education. It is a trusted resource in Greater Cincinnati and a national and international referral center. Scientists at Cincinnati Children’s have made research contributions that have advanced pediatric medicine at home and around the world.
Publish Date : 2008-11-03T00:00:01Z